A Winnie the Pooh Thanksgiving is an approximately 20-minutes-long television special which first aired on Thanksgiving Day, 1998.
It’s Thanksgiving time in the Hundred Acre Wood and Pooh and his friends are all very excited. They prepare a Thanksgiving party and everybody brings something: Pooh brings honey, Piglet brings acorns, Tigger brings ice cream, Eeyore brings thistles (enough for everyone, despite him acknowledging that he’s the only one who likes it), Gopher brings the lemonade and Owl makes biscuits.
However, when Rabbit arrives he points out that these things have nothing to do with Thanksgiving, and that they need something more special. Fortunately, he has a plan: Owl will be responsible for preparing the tableware, Gopher will cook the pumpkin pie, Tigger and Eeyore will go into the woods to collect cranberries, And Pooh and Piglet will go after a turkey.
They all agree with Rabbit’s ideas and do their best to get their parts of the work done. Owl and Gopher have little trouble with their tasks, in spite of Gopher’s use of dynamite for cooking the pumpkin, but Tigger and Eeyore accidentally lose all berries they had gathered. The berries are found by Piglet and Pooh, who decide to use them as bait for their trap to catch a turkey. Unfortunately, they end up catching Eeyore and Tigger instead. Not realizing the mistake, they bring back the sack with Tigger and Eeyore inside. When the two escape, they accidentally start a chain of events that destroy the decorations and food that Owl, Gopher and Rabbit had been preparing. Everybody is depressed, especially Rabbit. Tigger starts crying over the ruined party and they all go home, believing there would be no Thanksgiving that year.
But soon Pooh realizes the truth: that Thanksgiving Day is not about turkey and pumpkins, it’s about being with friends and expressing gratitude for all good things they have. He calls his friends back and they all recreate the original party, with honey and acorns and ice cream. When Rabbit sees the result, he is happy too.
- The film was nominated for Prime Time Emmy for Outstanding Children’s Program in 1999.
- Jim Cummings as Winnie the Pooh / Tigger (singing voice)
- John Fiedler as Piglet (voice) (singing voiced by Steve Schatzberg)
- Paul Winchell as Tigger (speaking voice)
- Peter Cullen as Eeyore (voice) (singing voiced by Dylan Watson)
- Ken Sansom as Rabbit (voice)
- Andre Stojka as Owl (voice)
- Michael Gough as Gopher (voice)
- Brady Bluhm as Christopher Robin (voice) (singing voiced by Frankie J. Galasso)
- David Warner as Narrator (voice)