Cleanliness Is Next to Impossible
|Season 1, Episode 6|
February 21, 1988
Cleanliness Is Next to Impossible is the sixth episode of the first season of The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. It originally aired on February 21, 1988.
Christopher Robin's mother orders him to clean up his messy room. To cut the work in half, he, Pooh, Piglet and Tigger throw everything under the bed. But, when that happens, the bed becomes another land, rules by the evil Crud. Pooh and Piglet investigate and are kidnapped by Christopher Robin’s crayons. Later, Tigger and Christopher Robin follow after them and meet Crud. Crud tells Christopher Robin that the whole “Under-the-Bed” is all made out of stuff he threw under the bed. He’s also making a plan to release Christopher Robin’s vacuum in reverse, making the world get covered by dirt. Tigger is also kidnapped and Christopher Robin imprisoned. Piglet, attempting to clean up the cell floor, discovers that the floor is dirt and by cleaning it, it makes an escape hatch. Pooh, Piglet and Tigger disguise as a crayon and rescue Christopher Robin. When they make a break for it, they meet up with Crud and what was once his minions have teamed up with Christopher Robin to clean up the Crud. After the adventure, Christopher Robin promises to always clean up his room. Then his mother is proud of him that his room looks clean as a whistle, then she was about to put on sock under the bed, but Christopher reminds her that it needs to go into the laundry basket, his mom wonders if Christopher can go outside and play, but Christopher Robin reminds her that he has to take a bath first.
- Winnie the Pooh
- Christopher Robin
- Christopher Robin's Mom
- Crayon Soldiers (one speaks)
- Christopher Robin’s Toys (one speaks)
- Aunt Edna (mentioned)
- The title is based on the catchphrase: “Cleanliness is next to godliness.”
- In the opening scene, Christopher Robin, Pooh, Piglet and Tigger have a fantasy sequence in which they are being chased by a tornado (later revealed to be a fan). The backgrounds are painted to look like the sepia-toned Kansas from the 1939 classic The Wizard of Oz, with A. Arnold Gillespie’s Muslim sock tornado that sends Dorothy and Toto to the land of Oz, given a personification.
- During the song "Under the Bed" at the beginning of the episode, the Pixar Ball makes a cameo.
- The song itself is also credited in the closing credits.
|Jim Cummings||Winnie the Pooh, Crud and Smudge|
|John Fiedler||Piglet and the Yo-Yo|
|Paul Winchell||Tigger and the Crayon Soldier|
|Tim Hoskins||Christopher Robin|
|Patricia Parris||Christopher Robin's Mom|
“CLEANLINESS IS NEXT
With the Talents of
Tigger and the Crayon Soldier
Associate Story Editor
Additional Character Design
Additional Background Styling
Additional Color Styling
Overseas Animation Supervisor
Post Production Coordinator
Managing Film Editor
Songs Written and Produced
Animation Production by
©1988 THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY
All Rights Reserved
- Christopher Robin: When I’m finished with you, you’ll be all washed up!
Crud: Ooh! I hate that word, too!
- Bubbles and Troubles (UK)